This Grade 5 Math Module 1, Topic A, Lesson 1 lesson plan also includes:
Extend the place value system. The first lesson plan in a series of 18 extends the place value system to millions through thousandths. Using place value charts, pupils see how the value of a digit changes as it moves places. Teachers use the lesson plan to first review place value and multiplication by powers of 10 before developing the new concepts.
- Give a group of classmates a card with the digit of a decimal number along with the decimal point and have them rearrange themselves as the number is multiplied and divided by powers of 10
- Learners should be familiar with place value charts
- Assumes the class is used to place value from 100 to 100ths
- Includes timing suggestions
- Contains examples of work
- Highlights where math practices are in the lesson