Mali is home to an ancient, wealthy empire that included one of the richest men to ever live, Mansa Musa, and the legendary city of Timbuktu. Today, it is home to civil struggles, and some of the instability makes these ancient sites difficult to visit. A video resource takes learners there, exploring its physical geography, culture, history, and politics.
- Use the video as an extension of a class exploration of ancient Mali
- Offer the resource to discuss the impact of Islam on Africa
- Video is number 109 of the expansive Countries A-Z playlist
- Pictures showcase the diversity of the African nation
- Video can be helpful in undercutting ethnocentric narratives about Africa