East Timor is a mix of islander, southeast Asian, and Portuguese influences. A video resource showcases a country with a social identity that is so complex, even its own government doesn't keep track of ethnicity. Learners explore this diversity and the complicated political situation of the island nation using the interesting profile.
- Offer the video as research into the cultural background of Southeast Asia
- Video is the 50th in the comprehensive series entitled Countries A-Z
- The humor may make some viewers uncomfortable
- Graphics and maps demonstrate complex topics
- Narrator can be funny and is engaging
- Some history is glossed over in a way that could be confusing to younger learners