This Free to Believe! lesson plan also includes:
The United States: One nation with countless religions. An interesting lesson focuses on the freedom of religion protected under the First Amendment. Academics learn why it is important to protect all religions, why there is a separation of church and state, and why it was important to the framers of the Constitution. The resource uses a hands-on-activity and group discussion to help elementary scholars understand freedom of religion and how it affects daily life.
- Have religious leaders from different religions speak to the class
- Compare the U.S. freedom of religion concept to other nations policies
- Teachers must create religious index cards before the lesson begins
- Lesson includes an extension activity if time allows
- Provides background information and essential vocabulary to assist students