This Four Activities: Thurgood Marshall and the Nomination and Confirmation of Federal Judges lesson plan also includes:
The process of nominating and confirming federal judges can sound like a lot of bureaucratic hoops, but a resource breaks down the steps of the Supreme Court nominations in a simpler manner. Learners participate in four activities that include writing essays, reading primary sources, brainstorming the definition of checks and balances, creating a nomination process flow chart, and even writing a resume for Thurgood Marshall himself!
- Extend the Thurgood Marshall resume activity by also assigning learners to create a fake LinkedIn profile
- Expects some pre-knowledge about the Supreme Court
- Aligns to many Ohio state standards, but is applicable to classrooms in any state
- Great practice analyzing primary sources
- Provides answer key
- Involves diverse exercises