This Food Waste and Food Access activity & project also includes:
- Lesson Plan
- Join to access all included materials
Forty percent of food in the US goes uneaten while 14.5 percent of US households lack a secure supply of food. As part of the preparation for a performance task assessment, groups consider statistics such as these about food waste and food access. They then brainstorm potential solutions and share their ideas with the whole class.
- Consider crafting a pie chart that shows the percentages of food waste in the US and worldwide
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- The essential concepts and terms required for the assessment are included in the activity
- The statistics presented are for 2012; therefore, consider asking groups to research more current data