This First Contact: Lesson Plan 4 - Grades 5-6 lesson plan also includes:
After watching Treasure in the Sea, a documentary about Channel Islands National Park and the video First Contact, about the voyage of Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo to the Channel islands, groups research and then compare the experiences of other great explorers (Cortez, Columbus, etc.).
- Have class members develop a matrix that identifies the type of information they should search for (sponsor, purpose of mission, area of exploration, etc.) so that they may compare and contrast the explorers they research
- Part of a series of lessons designed to accompany a viewing of First Contact and a study of Channel Islands National Park
- A link is provided to the film, Treasure in the Sea, a documentary about Channel Islands National Park
- Also includes a link to a National Park Service article about the history of Santa Cruz Island, the largest of the eight Channel islands
- The links to resources about Cortez and other primary and secondary sources do not work; however, information may be found online