It's hard to overstate the importance of protecting speech and freedom of the press. Scholars learn how free speech is an important part of an individual's natural rights and a way to form opinions. The video also discusses ways the government can restrict speech, for example when it could result in or incite violence.
- Have academics create examples of protected and unprotected speech
- Discuss the impact of a free press to hold the government accountable
- Resource is part of the Constitutional Hall Pass series
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Uses Supreme Court cases to explain protected speech
- Video gives a good overview of the right to freedom of speech