This Feel the Heat activity & project also includes:
Heat water up like a NASA engineer. Using the engineering design process, investigators create a system to trap and move heat through a water-filled tube. Designers participate in a post-activity discussion that highlights the role of heat transfer and the benefits of a solar-powered water heater.
- Allow participants to work as teams for a collaborative learning experience
- Have volunteers explain their designs to the group after the activity
- Construct a model hot water heater prior to the activity
- Collect materials ahead of time, including whether to use lamps or sunlight for the heat source
- Provides an organized educator's guide
- Hands-on experience fosters problem-solving skills