This Extracting DNA from Living Things activity & project also includes:
Help! Someone's trying to take my DNA! An interesting lab experiment has scholars use basic materials to extract DNA. By applying ethanol, cold water, and a protease enzyme, like pineapple juice, they pull strands of DNA from peas, onions, or fish eggs.
- Conduct the activity as a demonstration, especially if materials are scarce
- Activity recommends some organic materials to use; see teacher notes in resource
- Learners should be familiar with DNA
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes a student worksheet
- Provides a list of investigating questions