Extinction: i's not just for dinosaurs! Young ecologists examine the alarming facts about the causes of mass extinctions by watching this engaging Fuse School Evolution video. Topics include previous extinction events, living fossils, and the current pattern of the near-future extinction of struggling animal species.
- Watch the video, then ask pupils to research animal species on the verge of extinction
- Extend the lesson by taking a closer look at living fossils, such as the African armadillo
- Be sure students understand the human factors that are affecting the habitats of endangered species, as the video mentions them but does not elaborate
- Clearly explains the reasons for past extinctions
- The resource provides evidence for the causes of past extinction events as well as the potential for extinction of current animal species