This Exploring Hydrophobic Core interactive also includes:
How do the hydrophobic and hydrophilic regions of a protein affect its shape? Science scholars explore the molecular properties of protein molecules using a detailed interactive. The resource allows the user to rotate the protein, view it as a ball-and-stick or spacefill model, and highlight different portions of the molecule for easier viewing.
- Design an inquiry project based on the interactive that has students determine how the hydrophilic and hydrophobic areas of the protein affect its shape
- Have the class compare and contrast the shapes of each of the four proteins after completing the interactive
- Learners need access to individual computers to use the interactive
- The interactive is most compatible with Google Chrome
- The resource gives pupils the option to drag and rotate the protein to view it from many angles
- Different color schemes and structural models allow you to customize the interactive to your class' learning level