This Exploring Cultural Sustainability lesson plan also includes:
Small groups learn about a present-day nomadic culture in Mongolia and the threats to its existence by exploring a photo essay. The resource includes thoughtful discussion and writing prompts about cultural sustainability, the relationship between culture and the environment, and cultural transition.
- One of the writing prompts has your scholars writing about what they'd include in a photo essay about their own culture; take this idea further by having them actually create the photo essay
- A point of comparison if you'd like to pursue the issue of cultural transition further could be the Nukak Maku of South America
- If learners don't have devices in class, you'll want to make sure you have Internet and a projector to show them the photos
- Helps your class learn about an often-overlooked culture
- Discussion questions and writing prompts that promote evidence-based inquiry