This Escape Velocity Interactive interactive also includes:
How hard do you need to throw a ball in the air so that it never returns? Scientists call this measure the escape velocity. Classes can explore this concept through an intriguing interactive lesson. Pupils adjust velocities and observe the motion of the launched objects in both the horizontal and vertical directions as they attempt to escape the atmosphere.
- Explore the math connection by writing equations to model the elliptical orbits
- Learners need access to laptops with flash player
- Expects a previous understanding of Earth's gravity
- This content requires Adobe Flash to view
- Allows exploration of different planets to compare mass and size to escape velocities
- Interactive component provides opportunities to adjust characteristics