This Empathy: Grades 6-8 lesson plan also includes:
Middle schoolers develop an understanding of what empathy is and learn what they can do to show compassion to others with the help of articles and activities in a four-page packet. Learners develop PSAs to post around the school, engage in role-plays, and journal about actions that show empathy and those that do not.
- Have class members brainstorm a list of age-appropriate TV shows they can view for the Acts of Kindness activity
- Either watch the TV show in class or, if assigning the activity as homework, provide an alternative for pupils who do not have TV access
- Requires access to computers with internet
- Art supplies needed include construction paper, colored pencils, markers, or computer graphics software
- The role play activity permits tweens to practice empathic behaviors
- Includes links to articles written for tweens