Don't get mixed up about the differences between elements, mixtures, and compounds! Part one of a six-part series discussing these important classifications of substances illustrates simple tests one can perform to determine a material's identity. Pupils examine ample visual, physical, and chemical methods that make differentiating between elements, mixtures, and compounds easy ... and easy to understand!
- Consider having individuals record their predictions for each test performed on iron and sulfur, then compare their predictions with the actual outcome
- Have pairs create their own tests to determine the identity of an unknown mixture
- Learners need no prior knowledge of the elements iron and sulfur to understand the content
- Presents tests that involve chemical changes with safe lab procedures in mind
- The video promotes making close observations and drawing inferences