This Election Role-Playing Debate lesson plan also includes:
- Informational Text
- Join to access all included materials
After watching clips of presidential candidates during debates and speeches, and researching the candidate's position on important issues, young researchers conduct a role-play debate in which they act as one of the candidates.
1 Collection 16 Views 3 Downloads
- If class members are unfamiliar with debate format, conduct a mini-lesson about the conventions of debate or invited members of the school's debate team to speak with the class
- If time permits, expand the activity to include a moderator, news commentators, fact checkers, etc.
- Instructors should decide whether they will formulate the debate questions or if a group of students will formulate the questions
- Create a rating sheet for observers and have them score the actors on factors like accuracy of information, and accuracy of portrayal
- Presumes class members are well versed in their candidate's position on the issues to be included in the debate
- ProCon is a non-partisan, information site
- Suggestions for alternative debate formats are included