This Drawing Magnetic Fields activity & project also includes:
Class members use a compass and several points to map out the magnetic field of a magnet. Pairs trace the magnetic field lines produced by a permanent magnet by positioning the compass in numerous spots around the magnet to view the magnetic field. they then draw arrows representing the compass needle.
- Do the activity on a transparency so you can project it
- Use iron filings on one of the recording sheets with the magnet underneath it to show another way to visualize the magnetic field
- The class should understand what kinds of materials magnetic fields affect
- Fourth of an eight-part series
- The worksheet helps guide pupils as they draw the magnetic fields
- The materials list includes information on where to get the materials if you do not already have them