This DNA Extraction from Strawberries lesson plan also includes:
Has your class ever been astounded by the complexity of DNA analysis? Have they ever asked why genetic engineering has become so important to our daily lives? Young scientists perform DNA extraction on strawberries and explore how the field of genetic engineering affects our lives, from harvesting crops that will survive in harsher climates to uncovering cures for common diseases.
- Provide another fruit, such as kiwis, for DNA extraction purposes
- Suggest that students research the study of genetic engineering and its role in the early detection of diseases
- Ensure students do not consume ethanol or have it near a flammable surface
- Keep ethanol refrigerated until immediately prior to use
- Common items are used in this experiment, allowing for easier disposal