Division of fractions is more than keep, change, flip. A video explains the reason to use the reciprocal when dividing fractions. Using the interpretation of fractions as division problems, the video explains the relationship of dividing by a fraction and multiplying by its reciprocal. Pupils learn the skill by watching several examples.
- Conduct a mini lesson to show how to use a fraction model to show the quotient of a fraction division problem
- Provide several opportunities for learners to create reciprocals of fractions and whole numbers
- The class needs to know how to multiply fractions
- Points out a common mistake
- Provides a link to a related video on simplifying fractions