Divide with sums. A video provides an explanation on whether it is possible to divide a sum by a number and a number by a sum by using the distributive property. Scholars see which procedure holds up under the rules of arithmetic and make the connection to long division.
- Lead a discussion on different methods to decompose numbers
- Assumes the class understands the distributive property
- Requires pupils to know the relationship between multiplication and division
- Uses concrete examples before going to the abstract
- Shows a counterexample to demonstrate what does not work