This Diversity Quilt: A Lesson on Culture lesson plan also includes:
After brainstorming the various aspects of cultural identity, class members interview each other, examine video clips, and read stories to discover how these aspects reveal one's cultural identity. Individuals then craft a quilt square that symbolizes who they are.
- Have class members plan a party that includes the foods, music, and traditions that celebrate the cultural traditions of the class
- Include a reading of Alice Walker's short story "Everyday Use"
- The resource is the ELA version of a social studies lesson on culture diversity found here
- Establish a protocol for safe, respectful discussion
- Activities permit pupils to learn about the rich cultural traditions of their classmates