This Diversity: Languages Spoken in the United States activity & project also includes:
High schoolers begin a discussion on diversity and determine the percent of the population that speak another language at home in the US. Classmates make a prediction of the percentage of people that speak another language at home in their state and two other states. Scholars then look up the information and compare their estimates to census data.
- Lead a discussion on locations where non-English speakers may reside
- Research how many different languages students in the school district speak
- Individuals should know how to calculate a percent
- Includes suggested timing for the activity
- Contains tables to help organize pupils' work