This DiscoverE Challenge: Critical Load activity & project also includes:
Take a load off .. and put the weight on a house of cards. Scholars learn about civil engineering and critical loads by building the sturdiest house possible out of a dozen playing cards. They conduct tests by placing pennies or other small weights on their creations.
- Use the activity as part of a remote learning session
- Have a contest to see which classmate's house of cards can hold the most weight
- Lesson requires playing cards (12 per pupil or group), tape, cardboard, and small weights
- Provides a teacher reference and printable directions sheet
- A fun activity keeps young learners engaged in the topic