This Direct-to-consumer Genetic Testing lesson plan also includes:
If you knew that you were likely to develop Alzheimer's disease in your future, how would it affect your life in the meantime? This and other similar thought-provoking questions are discussed in a lesson plan about the availability of consumer-style genetic testing. The topic is a springboard for a role-playing activity in which groups present arguments for or against direct-to-consumer genetic tests.
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Encourages critical thinking regarding current topics
- Stimulates discussion and debate
- Addresses Common Core State Standards in social studies literacy
- Thoroughly written and includes links to many reputable resources
- Be aware that the topic may be of a sensitive nature to some students if they have relatives who have been impacted by genetic conditions