This Designing a Solar Charger lesson plan also includes:
The sun can even charge batteries. The fourth of five lessons in the Solar Transportation unit has pupils design a charger that uses solar modules to charge a 12-volt lead-acid battery. They estimate the charge that accumulates and predict how long the charge can power an appliance.
- Have learners research how a battery charger works and compare it to a solar charger
- Activity requires a variety of materials; see resource for complete list
- Materials must be left outside all day for the solar chargers to receive sunlight
- Provides background information for facilitators
- Includes a student handout