This Design 'Y'er Genes lesson plan also includes:
How do changes in DNA affect an organism? Scholars explore chromosomes, genes, DNA, and mutations by modeling the DNA of a strawberry. They build a DNA model, then manipulate it to show how changing the genes transforms the strawberry and could potentially lead to genetic disorders. They learn about genetic engineering and how it affects genes as well.
- Have learners research a specific mutation and identify how genes are affected to produce that mutation
- Invite an expert to the class to discuss GMOs versus cross-breeding methods
- Requires some materials instructors may not have in a typical classroom
- Pupils should have basic knowledge of DNA
- Includes an interest approach to engage learners
- Gives examples of extension activities