This Design Step 1: Identify the Need lesson plan also includes:
What exactly does an engineer do? Learners find out through a lesson that asks them to solve a problem that affects a target population. Aspiring engineers learn the steps of the engineering design process as they apply it to a challenge of their choosing. This first part of the unit gives attention to defining the problem.
- Allow each group to brainstorm a separate design project for this unit
- Propose several "target populations" and ask for corresponding design projects that could benefit them
- Part one of a six-part engineering design unit
- The suggestion is to keep the same groups throughout the unit.
- Gives good examples for design projects
- Provides a pre-project activity to reinforce understanding of the Engineering Design Loop
- Contains assessment of lesson and activity extensions