This Design of an Earthen Dam for a Lafayette Neighborhood lesson plan also includes:
How do dams support bodies of water? Scholars engage in a hands-on STEM activity where they design, build, and test dams to learn about bodies of water and how humans use natural resources. They learn how criteria and constraints affect the engineering design process. Finally, they evaluate others designs and determine what made each dam succeed or fail.
- Adapt the lesson to a local environment to engage learners
- Extend learning by having scholars research the human impact on bodies of water
- Requires materials some teachers don't have in a typical classroom
- Contains suggestions for how to extend learning
- Includes comprehensive background information