This Design a Crew Exploration Vehicle activity also includes:
Make a splash from space. Participants use the engineering design process to create a waterproof space exploration vehicle capable of an upright landing. Young engineers test and modify designs as needed and participate in a group discussion at the end of the activity.
- Organize learning community into collaborative teams before beginning
- Have groups complete a gallery walk of models, leaving sticky notes with helpful suggestions about each design
- Allow extra materials as needed for testing
- Activity uses water, so be prepared for spills
- Background section provides a real-world connection to NASA projects
- Includes video links of splashdown tests to engage pupils