This Deforestation lesson plan also includes:
Young scientists observe deforestation from satellite photos and discuss the importance of forests to the global environment. They then simulate a plot of forest when farmers move into the area over the course of seven years. Finally, they research the impact of deforestation on one area of their choosing—a very eye-opening activity!
- Extend the lesson by discussing the impact on water usage and availability
- Requires a large bag of dried beans, which might not normally be in the science class
- Assumes prior knowledge of recording and graphing data
- Core lesson feels like playing a game
- Connects a global phenomenon with the local impact
- Follows a 5E format