Literary themes don't just belong to literature. High schoolers listen to the lyrics of modern songs by Arrested Development, Lauryn Hill, and others to enhance their study and to connect to characters, conflicts, and themes of Lorraine Hansberry's play, A Raisin in the Sun.
- Requires either CDs or online recordings for the songs
- Does not include lyrics for the songs, but they can be readily found online
- Double check songs to make sure the language and themes are appropriate for your class; additionally, be sure that learners' chosen songs are appropriate for school
- Incorporates modern music to engage the central themes of the play
- Provides extension activities