What do you do when you find a word that's not familiar to you? Help readers use context clues when encountering unfamiliar words with a grammar activity. They note the parts of the sentences that show the meaning of the word, write how they discovered the definition, and circle the correct meaning.
- Include in a language arts homework packet
- Have learners work on the assignment before a vocabulary lesson, or for a morning warm-up
- Encourage class members to use the strategy when reading a novel or short story to define unfamiliar words
- One of the questions is divided on the page break, but all parts of the question are still complete
- Guided practice is helpful for learners of all reading levels
- Words in the sentences are challenging but not too difficult