This Confucianism in a Changing Society lesson plan also includes:
- Confucianism in a Changing Society (.html)
- Political Map of China
- Confucianism and Filial Piety
- Confucianism and Filial Piety - Teacher Version
- Clip 1: "The World's Largest Human Migration"
- Clip 2: "We Work Far Away From Home"
- Clip 3: "A Mother Leaves Her Child For Work in the City"
- Clip 4: "How Can There Be Any Feelings?"
- Lesson Plan: Confucianism (html)
- Join to access all included materials
The Last Train Home, a 2009 documentary about China's migrant factory workers, provides viewers with an opportunity to explore how China's emergence as a global manufacturing force is challenging Chinese traditional values like filial piety espoused by Confucianism.
- Have class members compare the Confucian teachings about filial piety with United States attitudes toward respect for parents
- The film is free on Tubi and for purchase from iTunes
- Consider the impact the resource might have on any Chinese students in the class
- Includes an extensive list of extensions and adaptations that include investigations of working conditions that affect families in the United States and immigrants from Mexico and from the Philippines