This Conditions in China: Why Might One Leave Home Forever? lesson plan also includes:
Primary source texts provide scholars with the background information they need to understand why Chinese peasant farmers were driven to emigrate. After underlining keywords, phrases, and/or lines in the texts, individuals craft a 10-line found poem that captures the forces that might cause people to emigrate.
- Post the found poems on a themed bulletin board
- Third of 14 lessons in the Angel Island Immigration Station unit
- Requires individual copies of two primary source texts
- The exercise encourages learners to develop empathy for those who feel forced to emigrate from their homes
- The plan is richly detailed and carefully scaffolded