This Composting: Why Bother? unit also includes:
The first STEM lesson in a group of 10 explores composting. After discussing how to make a better tomorrow, classes are challenged to track garbage in their communities, visit a local waste management facility, and conduct a survey about waste. They then create a compost bin, as a competition within their class, to see who creates the most decomposed compost in three months.
- If 10-12 weeks are not available, teachers can chunk the lesson and use desired portions in order to meet standards in less time
- An extensive amount of time is needed to complete this activity: one full week followed by 2-3 days/week for 11 more weeks
- Consider where to build the compost bins to minimize odor and infestations
- Lesson provides differentiated instructional tips for English language learners, gifted pupils, and resource learners
- A peer assessment scoring guide provides teachers with a way to assess pairs/groups learning
- Lesson uses technology through related apps