Comparing and contrasting goes beyond beyond obvious differences—it includes critical thinking skills, too! Through a short video, writers learn how to organize ideas within a compare/contrast paper. The video highlights different styles of organization and brainstorming strategies—great for all learning styles!
- Draw a few Venn diagrams on chart paper and place them around the room, asking learners to walk around and compare/contrast different topics on each Venn diagram
- Write a sample compare/contrast paper and, as a class, deconstruct the paper to discover the comparisons and contrasts it contains
- Pause the video on scenes with large amounts of text to allow viewers time to read the screen
- Provides a sample topic and models each strategy discussed
- Includes visual elements, such as illustrations and graphic organizers, to enhance the content
- Gives a significant amount of attention to some strategies and glosses over others