This Clay Planets lesson plan also includes:
Why do scientists use models? In the first installment of 22, groups create scale models of our solar system. They then share and discuss their models.
16 Views 16 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable NGSS: Adaptable
- Briefly review all of the objects in our solar system: sun, planets, asteroid belt, moons, potential comets, meteors, etc.
- Each group needs five separate colors and specific amounts of clay; purchase needed materials ahead of time and have extra on hand
- Would be best if clay colors do not mix so that builders can compare their model to the real object
- Assumes scholars understand what building a scale model means
- Activity is simple and a great way for learners to see the scale of our solar system
- Includes four simple discussion questions