The Ku Klux Klan wants to hold a rally on the Antietem battlefield. Should the federal park permit the rally? Or does the First Amendment have limitations? Scholars ponder these questions and more using a discussion starter video and prompts that unpack the issues around the often-discussed constitutional amendment.
- Use the video and discussion prompts to debate limits on freedom of speech
- Part of larger series exploring the Constitution
- Images of KKK members in uniforms may make this video inappropriate for some classroom settings
- Discussion questions and clip make the lesson ready to use
- Links to additional materials for further study
- Video mischaracterizes the effects of the Emancipation Proclamation