This Civil War Photographs lesson plan also includes:
One of the first photographed images of the Civil War give historians a glimpse of the realities of war. By viewing images from the war—including pictures of those killed in the bloodiest battles—learners experience the war's impact firsthand. Then, they evaluate how the images affected Americans during the 1860s.
- Lead a jigsaw-style discussion of included photographs to evaluate the impact of photography on public perception of the Civil War
- Resource includes graphic images of deceased people
- Teachers must create a free account at Stanford History Education Group to view the resource
- Images are riveting and engaging
- Materials are complete, including discussion questions and background PowerPoint