Why do schools and government offices close one day every January to honor the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.? Young learners discover the achievements and lasting significance of this influential figure in American history with a short informational reading and discussion questions.
- Have older learners design a visual representation of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s biography, using this text as their guide
- Supplement this worksheet with a video on Dr. King. There are many possibilities that can be found through a simple online search
- After concluding the follow-up questions, have learners discuss ways that people can fight for things today. What types of issues need to be addressed? How can they stand up for what they believe in?
- Consider popcorn reading this aloud as a class, pausing when appropriate to explain unknown terms
- Highlights King's major accomplishments during the civil rights movement
- Brief and informative text
- Questions are appropriate for younger learners