Trigonometry teachers often go off on a tangent, and here's a learning exercise that proves it! First, young mathematicians use a formula with tangent to prove a formula correct for area. Then, they draw conclusions about the area of a circle based on an analysis of their own work.
- After the worksheet, discuss how mathematicians first discovered the formula for the area of a circle
- Extend the lesson by also testing it for a triangle
- Relies on prior knowledge of polygons, circles, tangent, and circumscription
- Includes the correct solution
- Requires higher level thinking skills rather than just solving math equations