This Chinese Immigration and Exclusion lesson plan also includes:
The Chinese Exclusion Act was the first race-based restriction on immigration in American history. Why was the act passed after Chinese immigrants helped build the Transcontinental Railroad? A series of documents, including speeches and images, help learners explore the racist and political reasons behind the act.
- Use the included documents to structure a discussion and writing assignment to explore the rationale of the Chinese Exclusion Act
- To use the lesson, teachers should create a free Stanford History Education Group account
- Students may consider some language offensive
- Documents are edited and curated to add interest and reliability
- Images are intriguing and invite discussion