This Case of the Crown Jewels lesson plan also includes:
Can your biology class crack the Case of the Crown Jewels? Junior forensics experts try their hands at DNA restriction analysis in an exciting lab activity. The instructional activity introduces the concept of restriction analysis, teaches pipetting and electrophoresis techniques, and charges lab groups with solving the mystery using evidence they prepare and analyze themselves.
- Add a creative element by recruiting class members to portray each of the suspects in the case
- Extend the lesson by including proper evidence collection and handling procedures
- Prepare copies in advance; consider laminating DNA Evidence Evaluation posters for future use
- Gives students a look at real-life forensic work
- Teacher's guide contains all of the materials needed to execute the lesson