This Cancer Discovery Activities activity also includes:
Explore the genetic component of the second-leading cause of death in the world using a hands-on activity. After watching a video discussing the basics of cancer, learners complete activities that study the genes involved in cancer. The first activity has pupils identify the key locations on chromosomes and, in the second, they examine genetic mutations of actual cancer patients.
- Have learners record new vocabulary related to cancer in a graphic organizer
- Consider that the topic may be a sensitive one for some pupils
- Expects a solid understanding of dominant and recessive genes as well as genetic mutations
- Includes important background information relevant to the activity
- Provides possible discussion questions to help plan for instruction