This Building a Safe Staircase lesson plan also includes:
Climb up the staircase of engineering knowledge. After watching a video of a carpenter measuring out steps for a set of stairs, pupils learn about the terminology and regulations involving stairs. They see how to use a rule of thumb when making calculations involving measurements for stairs.
- Invite a carpenter or architect to give a presentation
- Have the class go out and measure the rise and going of a set of stairs
- Note that lesson briefly mentions trigonometry
- Keep in mind that staircase and building regulations may differ from local laws
- Provides some problems for learners to consider
- Includes a presentation to use during instruction, available in both PowerPoint and PDF formats