This Build a Relay Inspired by Space Communications activity & project also includes:
Learn how the professionals at NASA send information across space. Engineers use a microdevice, laser pointer, and mirrors as relays to model data transmission in space. Scholars program a microdevice to detect light received and test how mirrors and their positions affect light intensity using measurements from the microdevice.
- Create a data sheet with space to sketch designs and record light intensity changes
- Uses materials not common in every classroom, so prepare ahead of time
- Requires one laptop or tablet per group
- Must have familiarity with Python programming language or block code to operate a microdevice
- Background section provides a real-world connection for project introduction
- Includes rubric to clarify assessment criteria