Know your number! Diabetes and heart disease both increase with higher body mass index numbers. Understanding the body mass index (BMI) helps scholars take control of their own health. They view a comparison of what various BMI measurements look like on the same height body. Then, the topic of muscle weight versus fat weight allows further debate.
- Have students solve for their own BMI and decide on the role of muscle versus fat weight
- Find two volunteers who have the same BMI but vastly different body shapes and discuss
- Relies on prior knowledge of BMI and the formula used to calculate it
- Links to many other high quality resources
- Immediately relates to each viewer