This Birmingham 1963: Spring Jubilation Part 1 lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
As part of a study of the 1963 quest for civil rights in Birmingham, Alabama, class members view a PowerPoint that details the struggle and analyze Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "Letter from a Birmingham Jail."
27 Views 14 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- If class members have not already done so, have them investigate the different approaches of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr. to the quest for civil rights
- The first in a four-part series on the struggle for civil rights in Alabama
- The lesson presumes class members have an understanding of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments, Freedom Riders, Plessy v Ferguson, Brown v Board of Education, and Jim Crow laws
- The nine-page packet includes background information, a step-by-step plan, a PowerPoint presentation, discussion questions, graphic organizers, worksheets, and a rubric for the photo essay assignment