This Bioaccumulation of Toxins lesson plan also includes:
In 2015, Peter Cook found that sea lions with high levels of exposure to toxins suffered permanent brain damage if they survived at all. Scholars learn about the accumulation of toxins at various levels of the food chain. Using marshmallows to simulate toxins, pupils answer questions about the cumulative effects over time.
- Pre-teach exponents and scientific notation if pupils are not comfortable using both
- Relies on prior knowledge of the food chain
- Includes a file that works on SMART boards, but it is not required to complete the lesson
- Highlights vocabulary words in bold
- Connects the idea of toxin buildup to the concept of needing balance in all types of foods